Brighten up your living room by making this cheerful blanket cushion
Turn your old blankets into sparkling new creations with this easy guide where we show you how to make a blanket cushion. Modern and stylish, while also keeping a heritage feel, this blanket cushion will look at home as part of any decor theme.
An easy sewing project, this blanket cushion will cheer up your sofa or chair. If you make a plain cushion, you could even appliqué a motif on it, too. What about your initials, a quote you love or your family surname?
If you use a large blanket you could get two or three cushions our of the fabric and make some for friends, too. Although, we wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to keep them all to yourself!
We love using feather cushion pads for a softer feel but if you use a polyester one it will hold a firmer shape, so simply choose which end result you prefer.
- Fringed blanket or throw
- 40cm cushion pad (small)
- Matching thread
- Dressmaker’s scissors
- Tape measure
1. Cut a 43 x 23cm rectangle from a fringed blanket or throw, matching one long edge to the fringe – this will be the flap.
2. Cut a 43 x 38cm rectangle for the front, press under a 2.5cm hem on one long edge, zigzag stitch or hand-sew in place.
3. Cut a 43cm square for the back. Pin the flap to the back, matching the raw edges.
4. Pin the front on top, matching the raw edges and overlapping the hem over the fringe. Stitch the outer edges, taking a 1.5cm seam allowance.
5. Clip the corners, turn right side out and insert a 40cm cushion pad.
Now all that is left to do is to find the perfect spot for your beautiful cushion!
See our videos of all techniques for how to make a cushion cover