This personalised necklace is picture perfect, using old photographs and charms to make jewellery.
Pendant size: 3.5 x 2.7cm
You will need
- A photograph
- Access to a laser printer
- Cutting mat
- 25mm-diameter clear domed glass cabochon
- Craft knife or scissors
- Matte or glossy Mod Podge
- Sheet of plastic, eg, plastic bag
- 25mm-round pendant tray blank
- Diamond Glaze
- Weight, eg, heavy book
- Strong glue
- Cocktail stick
- Chain necklace
- Two 4mm jump rings
- Pair of jewellery pliers
- Initial charm
- Bee charm
Suppliers: 25mm-diameter clear domed glass cabochons, £2.70 for 10, Mod Podge, £5, 25mm-round pendant tray blanks, £4.50 for 10, Diamond Glaze, £3, and E6000 glue, £2, all Jasmin Studio Crafts; gold initial charm, from a selection at notonthehighstreet.com; 4mm jump rings, £1.19 for 100, and bee charm, £2.99, both Beads Direct.
Making the personalised necklace pendant
- Reduce or enlarge the photo so that the image will fit the pendant (check the size by placing the cabochon over it). Have the image laser-printed on to good-quality thick, smooth paper. Place the laser print on a cutting mat. Place the cabochon on the image and draw around it with a pencil. Cut out the circle with a craft knife or scissors.
- Seal the image by coating one side with Mod Podge – avoid spreading the glaze too thickly. Leave to dry for two days on a sheet of plastic. Turn the image over and coat the back in the same way, making sure that the cut edges are also sealed. Leave to dry for two days. Repeat to seal both sides, allowing each side to dry for two days. Seal the inside of the pendant tray blank with Mod Podge. Set aside to dry for a day or two.
- Apply a small drop of Diamond Glaze on the centre of the image. Press the cabochon on to the image. Press down hard to spread the glaze and illuminate air bubbles. Don’t worry if the image initially appears cloudy – this will clear as the glaze dries. Place a weight, such as a heavy book, on top to stick the glass and image together. Leave to dry for two days.
- Spread a drop of strong glue into the pendant tray. Use a cocktail stick to run a fine line of glue around the inside edge. Press the image into the tray and leave to dry.
Making the personalised necklace
- Slip the pendant on to the chain necklace. Open two jump rings by pulling them open sideways with a pair of jewellery pliers. Slip an initial and bee charm on to each ring. Adjust the pendant to the centre of the chain.
- Fix each jump ring on to the lower edge of a link of the chain 2cm either side of the pendant. Close the rings. To secure the jump rings, use a cocktail stick to dab a tiny amount of glue on to the joins. Leave to dry.