Revamp an old box with a fresh lick of paint and a stencil of your initials
Whether you are looking to revamp an old box, or be inspired to update other items of furniture in your home, our simple stencil project is quick and easy and just what you need to give a room a new look.
When choosing your paints make sure to pick three shades of the same colour, or at least colours which are in the same spectrum of the colour wheel, so cool or warm.
You’ll be surprised at how easy stencilling is, just scroll down, get inspired by our pictures and follow the simple step-by-step instructions.
- A chest or box
- Sanding paper
- Lint fere cloth
- Letter or number stencils
- Three colours of coordinating paint
- Stencil brush
1. Sand down a wooden box, making the surface ‘sound’ for painting. Wipe down with a lint free cloth.
2. Coat the whole box with a primer and leave to dry.
3. Apply two coats of paint, allowing each coat to dry thoroughly before applying the next – painting any panelling in a lighter shade of paint.
4. Once the paint has completely dried, position a letter (or number) stencil using masking tape to secure it in place.
5. Load a stencil brush with a little bit of paint, wipe it on a piece of kitchen towel to remove most of the paint.
7. Once complete, carefully remove the stencil and allow to dry.
And there you have it, a brand new shiny box to replace the old tired looking one it used to be! These type of trunk style boxes are perfect for neatly storing bed linen, shoes or blankets it.