Crushed Amaretti biscuits and a shot of almond liqueur give this wickedly delicious treacle tart an added twist. Go on, treat yourself to a slice!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 10 mins
Total time: 1 hr 30 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
For the pastry:
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 90g (3oz) unsalted butter
- 30g (1oz) icing sugar
- 1 medium egg yolk
For the filling:
- 125g (4oz) white breadcrumbs
- 100g (3½oz) Amaretti biscuits, lightly crushed
- Grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 400g (14oz) golden syrup
- 1 medium egg and 1 egg white (left over from pastry), beaten
- 4tbsp Disaronno almond liqueur
- A handful of flaked almonds
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Cream or crème fraîche
- 20-22cm (8-9in) deep, (3.5cm/1½in) fluted flan tin
- Bakewell paper and baking beans
- To make the pastry: Put the flour in a food processor, add pieces of butter and whizz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the icing sugar, egg yolk and 1tbsp water and blend to a pastry. Tip pastry out on to a lightly floured board and knead gently until smooth, then wrap and chill for 30 mins.
- Roll out the pastry until just large enough to line the tin, keeping any extra pastry overhanging the sides. Chill for 30 mins.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Line the pastry case with Bakewell paper and baking beans. Put it on the hot baking sheet and bake below the centre of the oven for 10 mins, then remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 min until browned.
- Turn the oven temperature down to Gas Mark 3 or 160°C.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Mix the breadcrumbs, crushed biscuits and lemon zest. Pour in the golden syrup, beaten egg and egg white and liqueur, and mix in well. Pour into the hot flan case. Sprinkle with almonds and bake for about 50-55 minutes until just set. If the pastry looks as though it’s browning too much, put Bakewell paper on top. Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or cold, with cream or crème fraîche.
Nutritional information per portion