This stunning lamb dish will impress your dinner party guests – but it couldn’t be simpler to make
Skill level: Easy peasy
3 trimmed racks of lamb, each about 275-350g (9-12oz)For the topping:
- 50g can anchovies in oil
- 50g (1¾oz) white breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Position one oven shelf towards the base of the oven for the potatoes (see potato gratin recipe), and then the shelf above it fairly high for the lamb. Set the oven to 220°C or Gas Mark 7.
- Place 2 racks of lamb on the baking tray, with the bones facing inwards and interlocking. Cut the 3rd rack in half, interlock these, and place next to the other racks on the baking tray.
- To make the topping: Remove the anchovies from the oil, reserving the oil. Finely chop the anchovies and then mix them with the breadcrumbs, basil, pepper and the oil from the can. Press the mixture on to the outside surfaces of the racks of lamb.
- Place the baking tray on the top oven shelf and roast the lamb for 20-25 minutes, or until the topping is starting to crisp and the lamb is cooked to your liking. If you prefer the lamb to be well cooked, then it will take longer. Remove the lamb from the oven, cover with foil and leave it in a warm place for about 5 minutes, before carving it for serving.
- Alternatively, the lamb may be left in the oven, and the oven turned off . You can leave it there for up to 10-15 minutes, to keep it warm if you’re not quite ready to eat it.
Top tip: Serve with potato gratin and glazed carrots. The lamb may be prepared up to the end of step 3 up to a day in advance. Cover the prepared racks of lamb with cling film and keep them chilled until serving.Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Noel Murphy. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.