Lovely as a starter or as a salad topping or side, this zingy asparagus dish is certainly full of flavour. Garlic, lemon and parsley are the perfect seasoning for this spring veg
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 12-16 medium thickness asparagus spears (about 250g), rinsed and dried
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30g day-old bread, made into crumbs
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated
- 1 lemon
- About 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Heat a griddle pan. Coat the asparagus spears in half the oil and griddle in batches over a medium heat until tender. Set aside on a warm baking tray.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan. Add the crumbs and garlic and stir over a medium heat to brown. Remove from heat, add zest from half the lemon, the parsley and seasoning.
- Cut the lemon into wedges and brown on the griddle.
- Arrange the asparagus on a warm plate and spoon over the crumb mixture. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.