A recipe revived from an 1984 issue of Woman’s Weekly. This chicken can be cooked in a casserole or paella pan. A great tasty and spicy one-pot meal for the whole family
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 55 mins
Total time: 1 hr 25 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2 tbs oil
- 4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp paprika (smoked paprika, if you have some)
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 175g (6oz) easy-cook, long-grain rice
- 400g can whole, or chopped, tomatoes
- Few sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 450ml (15fl oz) hot chicken stock
- 125g (4oz) bacon bits
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C (although you could cook this recipe on the hob). Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole, or paella pan, and fry the chicken pieces until brown all over. Take out of the pan. Add the onion and carrot and fry for 5 mins.
- Stir in the paprika, red pepper, garlic and rice and cook for 2 mins, then add the rest of the ingredients. Nestle the chicken pieces on top, bring to the boil and cover with a lid or foil.
- Cook in the oven, or on the hob, for 45 mins until the chicken is tender and the rice fluffy.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.