Try this delicious pudding recipe for dessert tonight. The classic lemon roll recipe first appeared in Woman’s Weekly in 1948
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 6 tablespoons milk
For the filling:
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- Golden syrup and crème fraîche, to serve
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or190°C.
- To make the filling: Grate the lemon rind into a bowl, then take off the lemon pith and discard it.Slice the lemon, take out the pips and chop the flesh. Add this to the lemonrind, along with the sugar, breadcrumbs and sultanas.
- Sift the flour and salt in abowl and rub in 45g (11/2oz) butter then mix to a fairly soft dough with themilk. Roll it out on a lightly floured surface to an oblong about 25 x 20cm (10x 8in).
- Melt the rest of the butterand brush some over the dough, then spread the filling over, leaving a borderall round. Wet the edges of the dough then roll it up from one short end andpinch the ends together.
- Put the roll in a baking tin,brush with more butter and bake for 30 minutes. Slice and serve with warmedsyrup and crème fraîche.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.