This delicious, light sponge cake is perfect for a kid’s party or a lunchtime treat. They may be a little fiddly to make, but the end result is well worth the effort!
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 200g (7oz) butter, softened
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 200g (7oz) self-raising flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 2tbsp milk
- Pink food colouring
- 6-8 level tbsp apricot jam, sieved
- 250-350g (8-12oz) white marzipan
- 20 x 15cm (8 x 6in) Battenberg tin, buttered
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C.
- In a bowl, beat butter. Add sugar, flour, eggs and milk to the bowl and beat until smooth.
- Fill 2 sections of the tin with half of the mixture. Mix a little pink colouring into remaining mixture. Spoon this into the other 2 sections of the tin, levelling the surfaces in each section. Bake in centre of oven for 20-30 mins, or until cake is risen and feels firm.
- Remove cake from oven and leave to cool in tin for about 5 minutes. Using a serrated, long bladed knife, slice off top of cake to level it with top of tin. Turn cake out on to a wire rack to cool.
- To assemble the cake: Spread jam over one side of a white cube of cake and put a pink cube against it. Spread a thin layer of jam over top of this. Then sandwich other 2 cubes together with a little jam, and place them on top of the first 2, so colours alternate. Spread a thin layer of jam all over outside of the cake.
- Knead marzipan to soften it, then roll it out on a surface dusted with icing sugar to a rectangle at least 22 x 35cm (8½ x 13½in). Trim one of the shorter edges to give a straight line. Place cake towards the straight side, then roll cake over to totally wrap marzipan around it, trimming away excess at the overlap. Cut a thin slice of cake off each end of cake to neaten.
- Mark a criss-cross pattern on top of cake with the back of a knife.
- To make ropes for decoration: Use marzipan trimmings. Roll out 2 long, narrow strips and twist them together. Press lightly on to the top edge of the cake; repeat to decorate other top edge of cake.
Nutritional information is for the maximum number of servings and does not include the ‘To serve’ suggestion
Nutritional information per portion