A hearty and warming vegetarian meal for the family – guaranteed to cheer you up when the weather can’t
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, about 500g (1lb), peeled and cubed
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 600ml (1 pint) vegetable stock
- 100g (3½oz) green beans, chopped
- 420g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small ciabatta, sliced into 12
- About 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 60g (2oz)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the celery and sweet potato and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the pepper, cook for another few minutes, then stir in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the green beans, cook for another 5 minutes, then stir in the butter beans and simmer for 5 minutes until heated through. Squash some of the beans and potato in the pan to thicken the juices. Check for seasoning and that the potato is just tender.
- Meanwhile, toast ciabatta on one side, turn slices over, put thyme leaves and grated cheese on top and grill until brown. Serve the toasts on the hotpot.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.