The perfect picnic salad! Not only are these ingredients easy to transport, you’ll also end up with a salad that’s full of flavour.
Cooking time: 5-10 mins
For the salad:
- 2 x 150-200g bags of salad leaves
- 125g (4oz) Stilton cheese, broken into small chunks
- 100g packet walnut pieces
For the dressing:
- 10tbsp walnut oil
- 1 level tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4tbsp cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the dressing, tip all the ingredients into a bottle or jar and shake well until they are mixed. The dressing will keep for up to a week if it’s kept chilled.
- To serve, tip the leaves into a large bowl. Scatter the cheese and walnuts over then drizzle the dressing over. Use salad servers or large spoons to toss the salad in the dressing.
Cook’s tip: The salad leaves will keep best in the bags they’re sold in while the cheese can be broken intopieces in advance and transported in an insulated container to keep it cool. The walnuts should also be kept in a small container – then the salad is ready to assemble just before it’s eaten.Per serving: 560 calories; 56g fatRecipes and food stylist: Sue McMahon. Photos: Simon Pask.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.