Serve up this Brazil nut roast as a meat-free alternative for Christmas dinner or Sunday lunch. Full of protein and vegetables, it’s a healthy option too
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 200g (7oz) Brazil nuts, chopped
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 100g (31⁄2oz) mature Cheddar cheese
- 2 medium eggs
- 50g (13⁄4oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable gravy, to serve, optional
You will also need:
- 500g (1lb) loaf tin, buttered and lined with a strip of baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Reserve about 2 tablespoons nuts and spread rest out on a baking sheet. Roast them in the oven for 5-10 minutes until they start to turn golden, then remove from oven.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onion. Cook for about 5 minutes over a medium heat until it starts to soften, then add the carrot, celery and chilli to the pan and cook for a further 5-7 minutes until the vegetables soften. Tip them into a bowl.
- Reserve about 2-3 tablespoons of the cheese. Add the rest to the vegetables, along with the nuts, eggs, breadcrumbs, parsley, thyme and lemon rind. Season well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle over the reserved nuts and cheese. Bake in the centre of the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown and just firm ot the touch in the centre.
- Remove loaf from oven and leave it to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes before turning it out and slicing to serve iwth gravy, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.