Enjoy the taste of summer vegetables with this nutritious broad bean and rice salad. So quick and simple to make, it’s perfect for a healthy dinner and save any leftovers for lunchboxes
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 12 mins
Total time: 17 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 250g (8oz) broad beans
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 tbsp good olive oil
- Pinch of saffron, optional
- ½ tsp each paprika and ground cumin
- 150ml (¼ pint) good vegetable or chicken stock
- 250g pack of ready-cooked microwave brown rice
- 6 tbsp freshly chopped mixed herbs (such as parsley, coriander, chives, and mint)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon juice, optional
- Rocket leaves, to serve
- Put the beans in a pan with the garlic, oil, saffron, if using, spices and the stock. Bring to a simmer, half-cover and cook for 10-12 mins.
- Cook the rice, according to pack instructions. Tip into a bowl.
- Add the beans with the stock left in the pan, then mix in the herbs and seasoning. Add some lemon juice, too, if you like. Top with rocket leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.