You can’t beat a cooked breakfast of bubble and squeak with fried eggs and Lincolnshire sausages in a tasty tomato sauce.
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 8 Lincolnshire sausages
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
For the tomato sauce:
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- ½-1 red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1tsp dark muscovado sugar
For the bubble and squeak:
- 2 large potatoes (about 600g/1¼lb), peeled and quartered
- ¼ Savoy cabbage (about 150g/5oz), stem removed, thinly sliced
- To make the tomato sauce, put all the ingredients into a pan, bring to the boil, and simmer for 10 mins until thickened. Whizz to a smooth sauce using a stick blender.
- To make the bubble and squeak, add the potatoes to a pan of cold water. Bring to the boil, cook for 15 mins, then put the cabbage on the top to steam for 5 mins or until potatoes are tender. Drain well using a colander and leave in the colander.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausages slowly in a frying pan, with half the oil, for 15 mins. Take out and keep them warm.
- Put the rest of the oil in the frying pan on high heat. When sizzling, tip in the potato and cabbage mixture. Squash it with a fork and cook for 4-5 mins, so that it starts to form a crust. Mash it around with the fork, and cook for another 5 mins. Season well.
- Fry the eggs in a non-stick pan, without using fat then serve the bubble and squeak from the pan, with the sausages, eggs and warm sauce.
Feature: Kate Moseley. Photos: Simon Pask. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.