Chunks of cauliflower lightly cooked then coated in a rich cheese sauce in a gratin dish. Topped with halved plum tomatoes, breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese and grilled.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 1 large cauliflower, broken into large florets, about 1kg (2¼lb)
- 8 baby plum tomatoes, halved
- A handful of breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- Black pepper
For the sauce:
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 60g (2oz) plain flour
- 600ml (1 pint) milk, or half milk and half cooking water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- A good squeeze of readymade English mustard
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 150g (5oz) Cheddar, grated
- Add the cauliflower to a large pan of boiling water and cook for 10 mins until just tender. Leave to drain in a colander.
- To make the sauce: Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir to make a paste. Take off the heat. add a little milk and beat well until smooth. Put back on the heat and gradually add the rest of the milk. Bring to the boil, add the bay leaf and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the spring onions to the sauce and cook for a couple of mins. Remove the bay leaf. Stir in the mustard, some nutmeg and the Cheddar.
- Put a gratin dish under the grill to warm up for a few mins. Arrange cauliflower in the dish. Pour sauce over. Scatter with the tomatoes, breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Grill for about 5 mins. Season with pepper.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.