This traditional English cake goes well with a cuppa any time of the day. And you can freeze your cherry and almond cake for up to a month.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 15 mins
Total time: 1 hr 25 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 250g (8oz) butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
- A few drops of almond extract
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 200g carton glacé cherries, halved
- 125g (4oz) ground almonds
- 4tbsp milk
- 50g (1¾oz) flaked almonds
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 20cm (8in) round cake tin, lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to 160ºC (320F / gas mark 3). Place an oven shelf just below the centre of the oven, so that the cake will sit in the middle.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs, one at a time, along with a spoonful of flour with each egg and beat in the almond extract.
- Sift the remaining flour and baking powder over the mixture and fold it in, then fold in the cherries, ground almonds and milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined cake tin and level the surface. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds. Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1¼ -1½ hrs or until the cake has risen and is just firm to the touch in the centre.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for at least 30 mins. When cool transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust the top of cake with icing sugar just before serving and then cut into 12 slices.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.