We’ve used pudding rice and chicken thighs in our risotto to make our savoury meal for four even cheaper at just 97p per person
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 4tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned and chopped
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 250g (8oz) pudding rice
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 200g (7oz) frozen peas
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 level tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the onion. Cook the onion over a medium heat for about 4-5 mins, until it softens, but not colours. Add the chicken and bacon, and continue to cook over a medium heat for a further 4-5 mins, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the rice to the pan, and stir it well to coat it in oil. Add the stock cube to the pan and pour in some boiling water, simmer the risotto until the water is almost absorbed and then add more water to the pan. Keep the risotto simmering gently, and add water as required until the rice is almost cooked. As a guide we used about 600ml (1 pint) boiling water in total.
- Add the peas to the pan and cook for 3-5 mins, until they are just tender. Check that the rice is cooked and if it still has too much ‘bite’, leave it to cook for a little longer. It should take about 15-20 mins. Season to taste just before serving and sprinkle the parsley over it. Serve immediately. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.