You don’t need many ingredients to make this tasty chicken and rice casserole. Plus it’s cheap, quick and dead easy!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 chicken drumsticks or thighs (or two of each)
- 175g (6oz) long-grain rice
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 250g (8oz) carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion. Fry it gently for 3 mins, then add the chicken drumsticks or thighs, and fry them until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add the rice and cook for 1 min, stirring continuously. Stir in the chicken stock, carrots, bay leaf and salt and pepper.
- Simmer the mixture gently for 35-40 mins, or until the chicken is tender. Serve with a mixed salad, if liked. (Not suitable for freezing).
The Woman’s Weekly team share their mums’ favourite recipes. Assistant home editor, Emily says:‘My mother, Jacqui, found this recipe useful, as my brother and Iwouldn’t eat traditional casseroles. But we both loved chicken andrice, so it was a healthy compromise. It’s quick and easy to make, andhas always been one of my favourite meals. Mum sometimes adds mushroomsand peas to make it more substantial.’
Note: Calorie and fat values are for the maximum number of servings stated.