Try this comforting chicken broth with Savoy cabbage – a healthy warming soup that is sure to be a family favourite!
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2 chicken legs
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 lemon
- Good handful of parsley sprigs
- ½ small Savoy cabbage, cut into 2 or 3 wedges
- Rub 2 teaspoons olive oil on to the chicken legs and add to a hot pan. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side over a low to medium heat, to brown the skin. Drain off the fat.
- Add the slices of potato, then pour in 600ml (1 pint) hot water and the pared rind from half the lemon, along with finely chopped parsley stalks, and seasoning. Bring just to the boil, then turn the heat down to simmer slowly for 10 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and set aside for a few minutes. Nestle the cabbage wedges in among the potato slices and carry on cooking gently for 5-8 minutes until the vegetables are just tender. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and shred the meat.
- Divide the cabbage wedges between 2-3 hot dishes. Add the chicken and potatoes, and spoon the broth over. Sprinkle with lemon zest, squeeze over some lemon juice and garnish with parsley leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.