You can’t beat a classic bowl of macaroni cheese. If you want to make sure yours is perfect every time, follow Woman’s Weekly’s foolproof recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 32 mins
Total time: 42 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 350g (12oz) macaroni
- 1-2 tbsp white breadcrumbs
- 1-2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
For the white sauce:
- 600ml (1 pint) milk
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 6-8 peppercorns
- Handful of parsley stalks
- 50g (1¾oz) butter
- 50g (1¾oz) plain flour
- Salt and white pepper
- 250g (8oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp made English mustard, optional
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- To make the white sauce: Pour the milk into a pan and add the onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and parsley stalks. Place the pan on the hob and bring to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the milk to infuse for 30 minutes. Strain the milk into a jug, discarding the flavourings.
- Melt the butter in a clean pan. Tip in the flour and mix well until it binds together to form a thick paste. Cook the paste for 1-2 minutes over a low heat to cook the flour, but not to colour it.
- Gradually add the infused milk, beating well all the time it’s cooking and allowing the mixture to come to the boil between each addition of milk.
- Once all the milk has been added, simmer the sauce for a few minutes and season to taste with salt and white pepper. The sauce can be used immediately.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water for about 12 mins, or according to the packet instructions, until it’s just tender. Drain it well.
- Stir the Cheddar into the white sauce and then the mustard, if using. Add the pasta and mix well, then turn the mixture out into an ovenproof dish.
- Scatter the breadcrumbs and Parmesan over the top of the macaroni. Bake it in the centre of the oven for 20-30 mins, or until it’s light golden and the sauce is bubbling at the edges. Serve immediately with a freshly made salad.
To freeze: Assemble the macaroni cheese in a dish which is ovenproof and freezer-proof up to sprinkling over breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Allow it to cool completely, then wrap it well and freeze for up to 1 month. Let it defrost before cooking.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.