- 250g (8oz) butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 100g (3½oz) desiccated coconut
- FOR THE SYRUP:
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons rum
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 3-4 level tablespoons apricot glaze, or sieved apricot jam
- 50g (1¾oz) desiccated coconut
- 15 halves glacé cherries
18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) traybake tin, lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C. Tip all the ingredients for the cake into a bowl and beat well, until smooth. Spoon mixture into the lined tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the cake is just firm to
- the touch in the centre. Remove from oven.
- To make the syrup: Pour 4 tablespoons water into a small pan and add the sugar.
- Place pan over a low heat, stir until the sugar dissolves, then increase the heat and bring the mixture to a rapid boil for about 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the rum. Spoon the mixture over the warm coconut sponge. Leave cake to cool in the tin.
- Remove cake from the tin. Beat the apricot glaze or jam to soften it and then spread over the top of the cake. Sprinkle over the coconut.
- Cut into cubes and press on the cherry halves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.