This pretty winter wonderland igloo cake is a perfect family Christmas treat. Decorate with cute homemade sugarpaste penguins – looks too good to eat!
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 3 hrs 30 mins
Total time: 4 hrs
Skill level: Bit of effort
- Basin-shaped fruit cake – like this cranberry and orange fruit cake
- 3 tbsp apricot glaze or sieved apricot jam
- 500-750g (1-1½lb) marzipan
- 1.5kg (3lb) white sugarpaste
- CMC (also known as Tylose or Tylopur)
- Paste food colouring in Ice Blue, Liquorice and Tangerine
- 1-2 tbsp royal icing
- 28cm (11in) round cake drum
- Icing smoother
- Small round cutter
- 90 x 15mm (35 x 5⁄8in) white satin ribbon (optional), or white felt icicles
- Double-sided sticky tape
- Trim the top of the cake and level, if necessary. Place the upturned cake slightly offset on the cake drum. Cover the cake with warm apricot glaze or jam, and marzipan, as shown in steps 1-3 of the “Classic Chic” cake. Roll out half of the white sugarpaste and create strips about 2.5cm (1in) in width. Cut the strips in 3cm (1¾in) lengths for the bricks and stick to the cake with cooled, boiled water. As you move towards the top of the cake, make the bricks smaller. As you build up the brickwork, flatten the cake with the icing smoother. For the top of the cake, use the cutter to cut out a circle.
- Cover the cake drum with white sugarpaste. For the igloo’s entrance, create several more bricks, curving them slightly to make an arch.
- To make the penguins: Mix 1 tsp CMC in with 250g (8oz) white sugarpaste. Make large teardrop shapes in white sugarpaste for the adult penguins’ bodies and make smaller teardrop shapes in Ice Blue for the chicks’ bodies.Colour some sugarpaste black with Liquorice food colouring and some orange with Tangerine. Roll a ball for the head. The feet can be either orange or black, made from teardrop, shapes, attened, and then cut twice with sharp scissors. Make tiny cone shapes for the beaks, again in either black or orange. The flippers are made in either black or white and are little sausages, flattened. The eyes can be made by making tiny, oval shapes and flattening them. The chick’s mask is made in white and is a kidney shape of thin, rolled-out sugarpaste.
- Position the penguins and the chicks on and around the cake, securing them in place with royal icing.