We first published this recipe in December 1920. The pudding is quite black and very rich in taste. Just use a cup measure, any size you like, for all the ingredients.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs
Total time: 2 hrs 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1 cupful each of currants, raisins, sultanas, suet, brown sugar, breadcrumbs, grated raw potato and black treacle
- Half a cupful each of plain flour, grated raw carrot, brandy
- 3 tbsp chopped mixed peel
- 1 tsp each of mixed spice and ground ginger
- Coffee mug (we used a 300ml/ ½ pint mug, which filled a 1.75 litre/3 pint pudding basin)
- Piece of pleated greaseproof paper and foil; string
- Mix everything together well. Put into basin and cover with the paper and foil. Tie with string.
- The original recipe said to steam pud for 2 hrs, then on the day you want to serve it, boil it again for 4-5 hrs. We steamed it for 4 hrs, then reheated it for 2 hrs, as it’s more convenient.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.