Lemon thyme is used in these custard cups with thyme fingers for a lovely light fresh flavour. You can make the custard the day before and let it chill in the fridge for a perfect prepare ahead no-fuss summer pud
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
For the custard:
- 150ml double cream
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 10g bunch lemon thyme, rinsed well
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 45g aster sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
For the fingers: (makes 36):
- 60g butter, softened
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemon thyme leaves
- 2 medium egg whites
- 100g plain flour, sifted
You will also need:
- Baking sheet, lined with non-stick liner
- Piping bag fitted with a 1cm piping tube
- 4 cups or small ramekin dishes
- To make the custard: Pour the cream and milk into a small pan and add the bunch of thyme. Bring to the boil slowly, then take off the heat and leave for at least 30 minutes to infuse. Squash the thyme down in the pan a few times with a potato masher to help extract more flavour.
- To make the fingers: Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Cream the butter and icing sugar, and beat well. Add thyme leaves and gradually add the egg whites, along with 2 tablespoons flour. Mix in the rest of the flour, using a metal spoon. Fill piping bag and pipe 7cm (3in) lengths on tray. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- To finish making custard: Whisk the eggs yolks and sugar until thick and light. Reheat the thyme-flavoured cream and strain it on to the egg-and-sugar mixture. Whisk well, then pour it into the pan and cook slowly until custard thickens. Add lemon juice to taste. Strain the custard into a jug and pour into the cups. Leave for a few hours or overnight to set — it will be a light set. Decorate with thyme leaves for serving.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.