A delicious and moist cake especially decorated for Easter. The icing and filling is of creamy mascarpone cheese and tangy lemon curd. This is a real treat for the whole family and for any occasions
Prep time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 300g (10oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 med eggs
- 300ml (½ pint) sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300g (10oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 60g (2oz) desiccated coconut
- 150g (5oz) carrot, peeled and grated
- 225g can pineapple in juice, drained and crushed in a blender
Filling and decoration:
- 500g tub mascarpone cheese
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 8 tbs lemon curd
- Good handful of mini sugared eggs
- 2 x 20cm (8in) round cake tins, lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C. Put the sugar, eggs, sunflower oil and vanilla into a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer for a few mins, until pale and well combined.
- Sieve in the flour and cinnamon. Add the coconut, carrot and pineapple. Gently fold everything together. Divide mixture between the tins. Bake for 30 mins, until well-risen, golden and shrinking away from the sides of the tin. Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the filling: Put the mascarpone, vanilla and sugar in a bowl and mix together until smooth.
- Slice each cake in half, horizontally. Put the base of 1 cake on to a cake stand or serving plate, spread with 4 tbs lemon curd. Top with another cake and spread with half the flavoured mascarpone. Repeat with the other 2 layers of cake and arrange the sugared eggs on top.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.