These delicious Eccles cakes are made with shop-bought puff pastry. Just prepare the filling – and pop them in the oven!
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 125g (4oz) granulated sugar
- 150g (5oz) dried mixed fruit
- 50g (1¾ oz) glacé cherries, chopped
- 50g (1¾ oz) blanched almonds, chopped
- Finely zested rind of 1 orange
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- 375g packet all-butter puff pastry
- Milk, for glaze
- Set the oven to 220°C or gas mark 7.
- To make the filling: Melt the butter. Reserve 1 level tbsp granulated sugar and add the rest to the butter, and stir in the dried mixed fruit, glacé cherries, almonds, orange zest and cinnamon.
- Roll out the puff pastry as thinly as possible and use the cutter to cut out rounds of pastry. Brush water around the edge of the pastry, then place 2 teaspoons of the filling in the centre of each. Gather up the edges to completely enclose the filling.
- Roll out each little parcel to give a flattish round, about 7cm (2¾in) in diameter — the fruit should just start to show through the pastry. Make 4-5 slashes in the top of each cake, then place on the lined baking sheets. Repeat to use up the pastry trimmings and filling. Brush the top of each cake with milk and sprinkle a little reserved sugar over each.
- Bake cakes in the centre of oven for 15-20 mins, swapping the position of the trays in the oven, if the top ones are browning more quickly than the lower ones. Remove the baking trays from the oven and transfer cakes on to a wire rack to cool. Serve the cakes warm or cold.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.