On the table in 15 minutes, you can’t beat this simple but tasty dish of poached eggs on toast on a bed of spinach and chorizo
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 200-250g fresh spinach leaves
- 2 medium eggs
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Knob of butter
- 6 very thin slices chorizo, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons single or double cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Cheddar or Gruyère
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices toast
- Set the grill to high. Boil water in a kettle for cooking the eggs. Wash and drain the spinach, put it in a pan, with lid on and let it wilt over a medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Put in a colander and press it down to drain well.
- Poach the eggs for about 2 minutes in a pan.
- Add nutmeg, the butter and chorizo to the spinach and form 2 “nests” in a buttered, flameproof dish or on a baking sheet.
- Place well-drained eggs on top. Spoon the cream over, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Grill until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Serve on toast.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.