Try this traditional Italian pasta dish with an English twist! Fried sausage, crispy smoked bacon, mushrooms, grated Grana Padano cheese with tomato and eggs
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 3 good-sized sausages, skinned and broken into small chunks
- 100g (31⁄2oz) smoked bacon bits or streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 150g (5oz) button or cup mushrooms, sliced
- 300g (10oz) dried spaghetti
- 2 medium eggs, plus 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 60g (2oz) Grana Padano cheese, grated
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 ripe tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- A few parsley leaves, optional
- Heat a frying pan, add chunks of sausage and cook for about 5 mins until browned. Take out of pan and set aside.
- Pour off all the fat from the pan. Add the bacon to the pan and fry it for a min, then add the onion and cook for 5 mins. Finally, add the garlic and mushrooms, cover and fry gently for a few mins, then take the lid off and cook until the juices have been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water for about 10 mins, until just tender. Drain it, but leave a little water in the pan. Put the pasta back in the pan.
- Beat the eggs, add the cheese with lots of seasoning and stir into the pasta quickly to coat the strands in the sauce. Add the sausage, bacon, mushroom and tomatoes. Serve at once, garnished with parsley leaves if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.