Give your traditional winter meal a spicy twist by adding a touch of ginger. This delicious pork hot pot will be a hit with the whole family
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 3 hrs
Total time: 3 hrs 15 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 8 rashers de-rinded streaky bacon
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 5cm (2in) fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon oil, optional
- 2 level tablespoons flour
- 1 level teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Good pinch of ground cloves or allspice optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless pork loin steaks (about 125g/4oz each)
- 3 Pink Lady or Jazz apples
- 600ml (1 pint) apple juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 4 small to medium-sized potatoes (about 650g/11⁄4lb)
- About 30g (1oz) butter
You will also need:
- Large casserole or pie dish
- Cut the bacon into strips, add to a large, hot frying pan and dry-fry for a few minutes until crispy. Remove from the pan and put in a bowl.
- Add the onion to the bacon fat in the pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, and oil if you think it needs it, and cook until softened. Remove from the pan and mix with the bacon.
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Mix the flour, spices and seasoning on a plate and use to coat the pork steaks. Keep excess flour.
- Quarter the apples (no need to peel them), core and slice the quarters into 3 or 4.
- Spoon half the onion mixture into the dish. Put 2 of the pork steaks on top, then half the apple wedges. Repeat the layers.Tip any leftover flour into the frying pan, whisk in a little of the apple juice to make a paste, then gradually add more juice and bring to the boil. Add the thyme leaves and pour it into the casserole.
- Arrange the thinly sliced (unpeeled) potatoes over. Season well and put small knobs of butter on top. Cover with buttered paper, or foil, put on a baking tray and cook for 1 1⁄2 hours.
- Take the paper, or foil, off and cook for another 1 1⁄4 – 1 1⁄2 hours, until the potatoes are tender and golden. Sprinkle with thyme, if you like. Serve with vegetables.
Nutritional information per portion