Got family coming round? This delicious Greek-style lamb roast serves 8-10 people. Slow-roasted for maximum flavour, use any leftover meat for sandwiches
Prep time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 3 hrs 35 mins
Total time: 4 hrs 10 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 1.5 kg (3lb) boned shoulder of lamb
For the stuffing:
- 1 large aubergine, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1-2 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tbsp each chopped fresh parsley and mint
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- 250ml (8fl oz) white wine
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 large, or 8 med-sized, potatoes, cut into chunks
- Brush the aubergine slices with a little oil, spread out on a baking tray and grill until browned. Put into a bowl. Put the onion slices on the tray, drizzle with oil and grill for a few mins. Add to the aubergine and mix in the garlic, herbs and seasoning.
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Lay the lamb out flat, trim off excess fat, and put the stuffing in a strip about 10cm (4in) wide in the middle. Bring up the meat on either side to make a roll and tie in at least 6 places.
- Put the meat in a roasting tin, pour in the wine and lemon juice and rub with rest of the oil.
- Roast for 15 mins to brown, then reduce heat to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2 and cook for 1½ hours. Parboil potatoes for 8 mins, then add to the roasting tin and sprinkle with more oregano if you like. Cook the meat and potatoes for another 1½ hours.
- Take the meat out and leave to rest for 15 mins. Drain off all but 2 tbsp of the juices into a jug and put the tin, with the potatoes still in, back in the oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Skim the fat off the juices and use to make gravy, thickening with granules if you like.
- Slice meat thickly and serve with potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.