Make an impression my making some homemade buns to go with your burgers. This easy recipe is for sesame seed buns, which bring a lovely nutty crunch to your meal
Prep time: 1 hr 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 1 hr 25 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 300g plain strong flour
- 60g butter or margarine
- 1 level tsp salt
- 7g sachet quick-action dried yeast
- 1 egg, beaten, for glazing
- 2tsp sesame seeds
- Put the flour in a large bowl. Rub in the butter, or margarine, add the salt and yeast. Pour in about 200ml tepid water and mix to a soft dough, using a palette knife, then your hand.
- Turn the dough out on to the work surface (try not to use too much flour) and knead well for 5-10 mins, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball, put back into the clean, lightly oiled bowl, cover with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place for 20-30 mins for the dough to prove.
- Turn the dough out and “knock it back” (knead) for a couple of minutes. Shape into 6 buns. Put the buns on a lightly floured baking sheet, cover with oiled cling film and leave for about 15 minutes to puff up while the oven heats up. Set the oven to 220°/425°F/Gas Mark .
- Glaze the buns with egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 15 -20 mins until well-risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack. Split and fill the buns with burgers.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.