Perfect for birthdays, Mother’s Day or any special occasion, these jam-filled biscuits will certainly put a smile on your mum’s face
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter
- 60g (2oz) icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 100-150g (3½-5oz) strawberry jam, sieved
You will also need:
- 5cm (2in) fluted, round cutter
- Small letter and heart cutters
- Baking sheets, lined with non-stick liners or baking parchment
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Tip the flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor and add the cubed butter and icing sugar. Whizz until the ingredients bind together to form a dough. Alternatively, tip the ingredients into a bowl and rub in the butter and continue working it to form a dough. If it’s soft, wrap it in cling film and chill until the dough is firm enough to roll out.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 3-4mm (nearly ¼in) thick and use the fluted, round cutters to cut out as many rounds as possible, re-rolling the trimmings as necessary. Keep half of the rounds plain and cut out letters and hearts from the others. Place all the shapes on the lined baking sheets.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-15 mins, or until they’re a pale-golden colour. Remove them from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheets for a few mins, before sliding them on to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread some jam over the whole biscuits, and top with a cut-out one. Dust with icing sugar before serving. The biscuits will keep for up to 2-3 days in an airtight container.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.