Got potatoes, frozen peas and bacon? Make this quick dinner for your family.
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 600g(1¼lb) Jersey potatoes, washed well
- 100g (3½oz) British rindless streaky bacon
- 100g (3½oz) frozen peas
- 4tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp olive oil, for cooking
- A fried or poached egg per person, to serve
- Salad leaves, to serve
- Cut the potatoes in half, add them to a pan of boiling water, or steam them, until soft, about 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, dry-fry the bacon until crispy, then take out of the pan. Add the peas to the frying pan and turn off the heat; stir them in and leave them for 5 mins.
- Drain the potatoes well. Put them back in the pan and dry them over a low heat, then crush them with a fork or masher, but not too finely.
- Snip the bacon into the potatoes and add the peas, parsley and plenty of seasoning.
- Form the mixture into eight small cakes, each about 7.5cm (3in) in diameter.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the potato cakes and cook for 3-4 mins on each side until heated through.
- Serve each portion with a fried or poached egg, and salad (not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.