This tangy citrus sponge is moist, light and refreshing and makes a perfect teatime treat.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 15 mins
Total time:1 hr 25 mins
FOR THE CAKE:
- 175g (6oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 3 medium eggs
- Finely zested rind of 2 lemons
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE DRIZZLE:
- 2-3 tbsps granulated sugar
- Juice 2 lemons
- 1kg (2lb) loaf tin, buttered and lined with a strip of baking parchment
- Set the oven to 160°C or 2Gas Mark 3. To make the cake: Place all the ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and level the surface.
- Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1-11⁄4 hours, or until the cake has risen and is just firm to the touch and a fine skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the cake. Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack.
- To make the drizzle: Immediately sprinkle the granulated sugar over the top and then pour over the lemon juice. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin before removing it and slicing to serve.
To freeze: Pack the cold cake in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow cake to defrost overnight before serving.
Nutritional information per portion