Try this delicious alternative to traditional orange marmalade. Use tangy lemon and ginger to add an extra depth of flavour to your homemade marmalade
Makes: 2.5kg (5lb)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs
Total time: 2 hrs 10 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 500g (1lb) lemons, preferably unwaxed
- 5cm (2in) piece root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1kg packet jam sugar
- 100g (3½oz) honey
- Pour 1.25 litres (2 pints) water into a pan and add the lemons and ginger. Place the pan on the hob and bring to the boil. Simmer lemons gently for 1-1½ hours, or until they’re very tender. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the lemons until they’re cool enough to handle.
- Lift the lemons out of the pan and cut them in half. Scoop out the flesh and return it to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, finely shred the peel.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a solid-based pan. Add the sugar, honey and peel to the pan, then place over a low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and boil the marmalade rapidly for about 5-8 mins, until setting point 105°C is reached (gauge with a sugar thermometer).
- Remove the pan from heat, put a little marmalade on one of the cold plates and return it to the freezer for a few minutes. Remove the plate from freezer and press the jam: if the surface wrinkles the marmalade is ready. If not, boil for a few more minutes, then check again the same way.
- Once setting point has been reached, skim off any scum and leave the marmalade to cool for 10-15 mins before pouring it into warmed, sterilised jars. Place a wax disc on top, wax-side down, pressing it down so there are no air bubbles under the paper. Leave to cool before covering the jars with lids or cellophane.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.