This creamy citrus dessert is so easy to make. It’s great as a family pud and even better as a simple dinner party dessert that can be made ahead of time
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 17 mins
Total time: 23 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 2 medium eggs
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 100g caster sugar
- 150ml carton double cream
- 2 meringue nests, crumbled
- 2 lemon slices and tiny dill sprigs, to decorate
- Separate the eggs into bowls that will fit over a pan of simmering water. Add the lemon zest and juice and half the sugar to the egg yolks, and the rest of the sugar to the bowl of egg whites. Put the egg-yolk mixture over the pan of simmering water (not touching the water) and stir for 5-10 mins until the mixture thickens to a lemon curd. Leave to cool.
- Put the egg-white mixture over the pan of water and whisk for about 5 mins, until it forms soft meringue peaks. Remove from the heat and whisk for another couple of minutes, until it cools.
- Whip the double cream to soft peaks, stir in the lemon curd, then the soft meringue mixture and half of the meringue pieces. Divide between 4-6 small glasses and sprinkle the rest of the meringue pieces on top. Chill the desserts before serving (up to 4 hours in fridge). Decorate with a lemon slice and a sprig of dill.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.