Perfect for lazy Sunday afternoons, this Linzer Torte is an Austrian-style lattice pie filled with fresh raspberries. Serve with custard for an extra warming treat
Prep time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 45g (1½oz) whole, unblanched almonds
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- ½ level tsp baking powder
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- 90g (3oz) golden caster sugar
- 100g (3½oz) unsalted butter
- 1 med egg
- Zest of ½ a lemon
For the filling:
- 300g (10oz) frozen raspberries
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar, plus extra
- Zest and juice of ½ a lemon
- 300g (10oz) fresh raspberries
- 1 rounded tsp cornflour
- Crème fraîche, for serving
You will also need:
- 34 x 11cm (13½ x 4½in) baking tin
- To make the pastry: Put the almonds in a food processor and whizz until chopped. Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar, and whizz until just mixed. Add slivers of butter and whizz to breadcrumb stage, then add the egg and lemon zest, and whizz to a soft dough. Knead lightly and roll to form a long cylinder. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- To make the filling: Put the frozen raspberries in a pan with the sugar. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 -25 mins until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir occasionally. Add some lemon juice, pour into a bowl and cool.
- Cut off 125g (4oz) of the pastry. Set aside for the lattice. Cut the rest of the pastry into fine discs and arrange on the base and sides of the tin. As they soften, press them to meld them together and line the tin. Trim excess from the top edge. Chill the pastry case and excess pastry while the oven heats up.
- Set the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Spread the home-made jam in the pastry case. Toss the fresh raspberries with the cornflour and 1 teaspoon sugar and the lemon zest, and spread them evenly over the jam.
- Roll out the reserved pastry and cut it into crinkle-edged strips, about 1.5cm (just over ½in) wide, cutting them to fit across the pie and form a lattice. Press ends on to the top, to seal.
- Put the pie on to the hot baking sheet, place it near the bottom of the oven and bake for 25 mins, and then a further 15 mins nearer the top. Take the pie out of oven and sprinkle with a little caster sugar. Leave it in the tin to set for 30 mins or longer. Serve at room temperature with dollops of crème fraîche.
Nutritional information per portion