Lavender infused ice cream – deliciously creamy and ideal to make in advance and keep in the freezer for a hot day
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 300ml carton double cream
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 4 level tbsp dried lavender flowers
- 500ml carton chilled, ready-made vanilla custard
- Violet or purple food colouring
- Pour the double cream into a pan, place it on the hob and bring it to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add the sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves, then add the lavender flowers.
- Leave the lavender to infuse for at least 30 mins, or until the cream is cool. Strain the cream and discard the lavender flowers.
- Stir the infused cream into the custard and add some colouring to make the mixture lilac. Pour the mixture into a suitable freezer container, and freeze it until solid, beating occasionally, so that it freezes smoothly. Alternatively, freeze
- The mixture in an ice cream machine, then transfer it to a freezer container and store it in the freezer.
- Remove ice cream from the freezer for about 10-15 mins before serving, so that it starts to soften and is easier to scoop.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.