A delicious family meal that’s so quick and easy to make – and all the ingredients are from the freezer or storecupboard, so it’s a great last-minute standby
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 500g pack frozen lean fresh mince, or frozen free-flow mince
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1tsp each ground coriander and ground cumin
- ½tsp dried crushed chillies
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g (3½oz) each frozen soya beans and frozen sweetcorn
- 1tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2tbsp frozen chopped coriander
- 480g pack ready-made pancakes or 8 home-made pancakes, frozen
- 100g (3½oz) mature Cheddar, fresh or frozen
- A few baby plum tomatoes, some chopped cucumber and a few tortilla chips, optional, to serve
- Put the pack of mince in the microwave and defrost until just thawed, or cook the free-flow mince from frozen. Heat a large frying pan, add the mince and onion. Let it brown for a few mins, then add the spices, tomatoes and seasoning. Simmer for 15 mins.
- Add the frozen soya beans and sweetcorn, then the ketchup, along with 4tbsp water, and simmer for 10 mins. Stir in coriander.
- Defrost the pancakes in the microwave. Lay them out on the work surface and divide the hot mince mixture between them. Roll them up and pack tightly in a flameproof dish. Sprinkle with the Cheddar and put under the grill (not too close) for about 10 mins, so that they warm through and the cheese melts and turns golden. Serve hot with the salad and tortilla chips.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.