Brown the lamb to give this dish a really great flavour – it’s easy to make and you can freeze it too.
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 leeks, washed and sliced
- 200g (7oz) pearl barley
- 2 tbsp mint sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 litre (1¾ pints) lamb stock
- 300g (10oz) frozen peas
- Set the oven to gas mark 2 or 150°C.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the lamb shanks. Cook over a high heat for about 5-8 mins, turning the lamb regularly until it’s browned on all sides. Remove the shanks from the pan and place in a casserole dish.
- Add the leeks and pearl barley to the casserole dish. Stir the mint sauce and seasoning into the stock and then pour it into the dish. Cover and place the dish in the centre of the oven and cook for 2½ hours, until the lamb is just tender.
- Add the peas to the casserole, and return to the oven for a further 15-20 mins, or until the peas are hot. Serve immediately.
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Noel Murphy. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.