Use up your peas in our luxury version of pea and ham soup – try serving with our pea, ham and cheese muffins.
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 30g(1oz) butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 900ml (1½ pints)
- good-quality vegetable or chicken stock
- 400g (14oz) fresh peas, shelled
- 2 level tbsp chopped fresh mint, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1tbsp light olive oil
- 4 slices of pancetta, cut into narrow strip
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic for 5-7 mins until they’ve softened, but not coloured. Add the cubed potato to the mixture, and stir before adding the stock to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and cook for a further 12-15 mins until the potato has softened.
- Add the peas to the pan, bring to the boil and then simmer the mixture for 3-4 mins, until the peas are just tender. Remove the pan from the heat and add the mint.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, then purée it in a blender or food processor, until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the strips of pancetta until crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen roll.
- Reheat the soup if necessary. Serve immediately, garnished with mint and the crispy pancetta.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.