Comfort food at its best – tender white and smoked fish and vegetables in a silky sauce, topped with creamy mash. This fish pie will be a favourite with all the family from the minute they taste it!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 500g (1lb) potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 1 small leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 125g (4oz) mixed frozen sweetcorn and peas
- About 300g (10oz) mixed fish offcuts (salmon, haddock, smoked haddock and pollock), checked for bones
- 1tbsp capers, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml (¼ pint) milk
- 1 level tbsp plain flour
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for about 15 mins, until tender. Meanwhile, set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C.
- Put a little of the butter in a large mixing bowl with the leek. Microwave, covered, on High for 2 mins. Add the sweetcorn and peas. Then add the chunks of fish, capers, if using, and seasoning. Mix well and put mixture into an ovenproof dish.
- Pour the milk into the bowl, whisk in the flour and add the rest of the butter. Microwave on High for about 4 mins, whisking every so often to thicken sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and vegetables and mix in.
- Mash the potatoes, adding a little extra milk and butter. Spread the mash on top of the pie. Bake, on a baking sheet, for 15-20 mins, until the sauce is bubbling over the edge a little. Grill to brown the top, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.