Naomi bars, slices of delicious chocolate and custard cake are the perfect no-fuss snack for kids and packed lunches. Even better, they require no baking – simple!
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs
Total time: 2 hrs 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 125g (4oz) butter
- 2 level tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2 level tbsp cocoa
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 300g (10oz) digestive biscuits, crumbed
- 60g (2oz) desiccated coconut
For the custard filling:
- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 250g (8oz) icing sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
For the topping:
- 150g dark chocolate
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 4 tbsp strong black coffee
- 18 x 27cm (7 x 11in) traybake tin, lined with Bakewell paper
- To make the base: Put the butter, sugar and cocoa in a small pan over a low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Take off the heat and add the egg, vanilla essence, crumbs and coconut. Press mixture into the tin and level the surface. Chill for at least 30 mins.
- To make the filling: Cream the butter until pale and fluffy. Whisk in the custard powder and vanilla, then the icing sugar and lemon juice. Spread this over the biscuit base and chill for 1-2 hours until set firm.
- To make the topping: Melt the chocolate with the butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Take off the heat and whisk in the coffee until you get a smooth icing. Spread it over the filling. Leave until set. Cut into 3cm (1¼in) wide bars.
Nutritional information per portion