A simple and yet delicious dessert. This healthy sponge is made with olive oil and makes a lovely dessert when served with a delicious Italian-style ice cream
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hr 5 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 5 med eggs
- 100g (3½oz) golden caster sugar
- 4 tbs light olive oil
- 90g (3oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- Italian ice cream, to serve
- 20cm (8in) spring-form cake tin, greased and lined
- Heat the oven to 160°C/ 320°F/Gas Mark 3. Put the eggs into a bowl of a free-standing food mixer and whisk for 2 mins.
- Add the sugar and whisk for 5 more mins, until the mixture has trebled in volume, is thick, foaming and leaves a trail when the beaters are lifted.
- Continue to whisk on a high speed, adding the olive oil, a few drops at a time.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and gently fold in. Tip into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 40-45 mins, or until the sponge is springy to the touch and shrinking away from the sides. Cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and serve with the ice cream.
Nutritional information per portion