A simple to make family cake based on a Madiera cake recipe. Cooked in a loaf tin and flavoured with orange zest it has an orange juice syrup poured over after baking to give it a crunchy citrus topping
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 60g (2oz) ground almonds
- 125g (4oz) butter, softened
- 2 medium eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
For the topping:
- Juice of 1 orange
- 90g (3oz) granulated sugar
- 900g (2lb) loaf tin, strip-lined, buttered
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C. Mix all the cake ingredients together in a large bowl (using an electric mixer if you have one) until smoothly blended. Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the top. Bake for about 1 hour.
- To make the topping: Mix the orange juice and sugar and pour it evenly over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 30 mins, and then take it out of the tin to cool on a wire rack. Slice to serve.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.