When it’s cold outside you need a comforting casserole and this oxtail stew is the perfect answer. Once prepared, it can simply be left to cook. Serve with potatoes and brussel sprouts.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 3 hrs 10 mins
Total time: 3 hrs 25 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 1-1.5kg pieces of oxtail
- 30g dripping or 1 tbsp oil
- 2-3 leeks, split in half, washed well and cut into short lengths
- 3-5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 60g plain flour
- 600ml hot stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
You will also need:
- 2.5 litre (4 pint) casserole
- Trim off any fat from the oxtail where you can. Heat the dripping, or oil, in a large frying pan. Add the pieces of oxtail and fry them over a fairly high heat for about 10 mins, until browned all over. Meanwhile, put the prepared vegetables into the casserole dish and set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Take the oxtail out of the pan and put the pieces on top of the vegetables. Remove the pan from the heat, stir the flour into the oil, then gradually blend in the stock. When smooth, put the pan back on the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Season, and then pour into the casserole.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour, then reduce the heat to 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2 for another 2 hours, or until the meat is really tender. Serve with potatoes and Brussels sprouts, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.