Make use of your garden blackberries in this easy two-step recipe. You won’t need to do any baking and you can use ready-rolled pastry too
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 450g pack JusRol frozen shortcrust pastry (2 rounds
- in the pack), thawed, at room temperature
- 400g (14oz) blackberries
- 2tbsp demerara or other sugar
- About 60g (2oz) unsalted butter
- Unwrap the pastry circles carefully, keeping them on the plastic. Cut each circle in half. Spread berries over one half of each piece of the pastry and sprinkle with sugar to taste. Dampen the edge of the pastry with water, using your finger, and carefully fold it over to enclose the fruit. Trim to make a neater shape and seal the edges well by crimping them together. Chill before cooking, if you have time.
- Put a quarter of the butter in a large frying pan and, when it is just foaming, put two of the pies in the pan and fry for about 5 mins, or until golden and crisp underneath. Add another quarter of the butter to the pan, flip the pies over and continue cooking for 5 mins or until the pastry is cooked. Set aside the cooked pies and cook the other two, as above, using the rest of the butter. Serve warm or cold with custard or cream.(Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information is for the maximum number of servings
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.