Give your traditional pudding a festive twist by using Christmas panettone to make bread and butter pudding – perfect for using up leftovers
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 60-90g (2-3oz) butter, softened
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 of a 500g panettone, sliced
- 125g (4oz) sultanas or raisins
- 50g (23⁄4oz) demerara sugar
- 1 level teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 300ml (1⁄2 pint) milk
- 300ml carton double cream
- 3 medium eggs
You will also need:
- Ovenproof dish, buttered
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Spread the butter over one side of each slice of panettone, and cut each slice into triangles.
- Mix together the sultanas or raisins, sugar and mixed spice. Arrange half of the panettone, butter-side up in the ovenproof dish and sprinkle over half of the fruit mixture. Top with the remaining bread and scatter the remaining fruit mixture over the top. Beat together the milk, cream and eggs, and then pour the mixture through a sieve over the bread.
- Leave the pudding to stand for at least 30 minutes, so that the bread absorbs some of the liquid. Place the dish in a roasting tin. Pour in boiling water to come about halfway up the sides of the dish.
- Bake the pudding for about 40-50 minutes in the centre of the oven, until the top is golden, the edges of the bread start to crisp and the custard has set in the centre. Remove pudding from the oven and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per portion