This parsnip mash is delicious with a topping of breadcrumbs and parsley. It makes a great side dish to roast turkey and other festive roasts
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 1kg (2¼lb) parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 4 tabsp milk
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 3-4 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 50g (1¾oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tbsp chopped parsley
- Place parsnips in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer gently for 15-20 mins until parsnips are tender. Drain well in a colander.
- Add the butter and milk to the hot pan and bring to the boil. Return veg to pan and mash until smooth. Add nutmeg and season. Spoon into an ovenproof dish; smooth surface.
- Mix together the Parmesan, breadcrumbs and parsley and sprinkle over the top of the purée.
- To serve, heat the purée in a warm to hot oven for about 20-30 mins.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.