A splash (or two!) of rum adds a special something to this tasty fruit cake that’s flavoured with mixed spices.
Makes:20cm (8in) round or 18cm (7in) square cake
- 250g (8oz) butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) dark muscavado sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 300g (10oz) plain flour
- 2 level tsp ground mixed spice
- 1kg packet dried mixed fruit
- 250g packet dried ready-to-eat pineapple, chopped
- 150g (5oz) dried cranberries
- 6 tbsp rum
- 20cm (8in) round or 18cm (7in) square tin, lined with baking parchment
- Position the oven shelf just below the centre of the oven so that the cake will be central in the oven. Set the oven to cool gas mark 2 or 150°C.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour with each egg. Fold in the remaining flour and mixed spice, then fold in the mixed fruit, pineapple and cranberries. Spoon the mixture into the lined cake tin and level the surface.
- Bake the cake in the centre of the oven 3-3½ hrs, or until a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into the cake. If the cake starts to brown too quickly then cover it with a sheet of baking parchment or foil and reduce the oven temperature slightly.
- When the cake is cooked remove it from the oven and leave it to cool for about 15 mins, then spoon over the rum. Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin.
- When the cake is cold remove it from the tin and wrap it in baking parchment then in foil.
Cook’s tip: If the cake is well-wrapped and stored in a cool place it will keep for at least 3 months. If liked, a little extra rum may be spooned over the cake just before it’s decorated.Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.